paulm

Fawn Chicks 2011

Hi AllJust wondered what you thought of these chicks their only young mind.fawn2011c.jpgfawns2011d.jpgfawns2011e.jpgfawns2011g.jpgfawns2011h.jpgPaul.

Paul, I like them, nice shape head + small beak. :D Are they the only two from nest ? I would think you are pleased with them paul. Trevor :) Ps good pic's as well.

Hi NickCheers for the comment i was looking at the photos you posted very impressive that Normal cock birds looks too have a great shape and size i look forward to seeing them all on the show bench this year.Hi Trev thanks for the comment also i am quite pleased with them i just hope they moult out ok they are the only ones from that nest,but i do have the pair on eggs now and am hoping for the best,these were foster out under another pair as i was unsure how well the hen was sitting.Paul.

Nice shape and type Paul, you must be pleased with these.Can you post further pictures when they've moulted out in to their adult feathers.Gary.

paul i like the shape of the birds did you pair the parants from normal to fawn plus have the parants got good shape to them also,mark

Hi Paul,these birds look like they are going to be good, head shape looks good to me,i keep looking at my first round chicks, they looked good as they were weening but during the moult i thought they were rubbish, now they are nearly throughthe moult and are regaining there good looks, i suppose the lesson is do not reacttoo quick and dispose of that ugly duckling.Cheers Kim

Hi allKim your spot on about not getting rid of birds to early as they change so much and this can lead to getting rid of some good birds you may well of kept.Mark the cock is a fawn,he's a feather bird who has a nice body but lacks the size of head to match his body which a lot of these soft feather bird tend to do or so i think and the hen is a harder feathered fawn with a nice head shape and round draw,but as i have said before mother nature has the last say.Paul.

paul i see what your saying about cock bird good body wrong head but going of what you said about hen bird you never know what the pair can produce as you say mother nature,mark

Now, I have to disagree here, based on the photo, i would agree that he has good feather, his flanks are bold and the under parts are consistent in colour. The head seems to be in shape with the body, but as we have said before, photo's can be deceptive. Based on what I can see I certainly wouldn't knock this bird.Just my personal preference though.Paul if you don't mind can you email me the original photo, I'd like to study him in more detail. Looking at the picture again the flanks seem to be outstanding on this bird, what year is he?regards,Gary.

no expert as you know but i think you got some real nice birds there both with the fawns and the normal in other thread,good start for next year breeding?any chance pic of hen mother of fawns?

Hi Thanks for the kind comment's,i would say this cock birds is out of balance by this i mean the size of his head is out of porpotion for the size of his body,this is something that is found with a bird with soft fine feather like this cock,but put to the right type of hen with a different type of feather he can produce birds with a good head themselve's.Gary i will try and find oridinal if i havent deleted it yet i do have it on photobucket but at i reduced size i think.Paul.

very promising paulthe hen you used seems to have done the trick putting some head quality into the youngstersdefinatley a pair worth working withgood selection by yourselfi like the feather quality in the adult cock aswellhope you get another round out dave

Hi Dave Im trying them again now but had some clear eggs from them since ain't that usually the way :) Paul.

Thank you.They are two cock birds from the same nest,this video was taken when they were not coloured up.Paul.

This is a really cool to show a video of the birds, that gives a much better idea of the birds ( and their qualities) than a picture.Do you have a picture or a video of them coloured up ?i'm really impressed by the shape of this youngsters !Good job Paul :)

Hi MichaelThank for your kind words.Im sorry i dont have a video of them coloured up i will have to get on when they have finished moulting at the moment they look a bag of feather.Paul.

Video is a brilliant idea, for those like me that have a lot to learn it is really usefull, and i don't have to travel miles to see them.Heres a thing Paul, if you rated these youngsters at the age they are out of 10, what would you give them compared to the rest of your stud, if you see what i mean. Are these just average, rubbish or the creme de la creme? I have a feeling i know the answer.Mark B

Hi MarkNow i liked these young fawns and i could see they had promise and after colouring up they looked nice,they will do a fair bit of growing and filling out in the first year.Im lucky a bred quite a few birds im happy with this year for one reason or another,birds can impress you for different things its importnt to study them and see what they have that you need and where their faults lie and how best you can use them.Here a video i found of the grandfather to these fawns the quality of the videos not great though.

Paul.