Bicheno

The Owl's Finally Arrived

These are really RUBBISH PHOTOS but I don't want to stress the little one's out too much - please give me your honest opinions (I didn't breed them so won't be offended what you say!) on them, their condition and their sex?

(1) group huddle

02_zpsb83cd715.jpg

(2) I think this is a pair? Male on the left, hen on the right?

03_zps882d4659.jpg

(3) I think there are 2 cock's here (left and right) and the hen is in the middle??

01_zps42db7408.jpg

I'm going to leave them a few days before trying to split them into 2 x pairs anyway as they seem relatively content with each other.  In the meantime it's a case of trying to build them all up a little, the one's that look like females to me look a bit "rubbish" and tatty?

• Like 1

They are gorgeous! I cant help with sexing them as i dont have a clue how.

It looks like they may be going through a moult, or possilbly been plucked a little.

I wish i could have some of these but my bird shed isn't heated so i wouldn't dare chance it. They are really nice looking birds! I'm so glad they arrived safe and sound :D

Kerry

my shed's not heated but it is insulated so hopefully we'll be okay, I would bring them in the house during winter BUT to be honest my shed is probably warmer than my house come November/December :fool:

they could just look tatty from travel-stress, I know I do lol

Thats the first I've seen and they are just so unusual and really beautiful

They seem to have a larger beak than the zebra finches or is it my imagination.

You must feel it was well worth the wait for their arrival

Emmy

oh yes thank you Emmy WELL worth the wait and stress - I won't ever buy from a big supplier again though IF I get any more finches I'm going to fetch them in person

Maybe a silly question to ask but Did they transport them in a box or a cage?

Emmy

ps I had to laugh to myself when you said IF you get any more finches didnt  you know there is no such word as IF  :rofl:

You need to change the IF to WHEN :rofl:  :rofl: 

Emmy

they sent them in the most STUPID box ever and on getting home with them I couldn't get them out, I managed to squeeze my hand in between the enormous staples but the opening excited the birds and all 4 shot out and into FREEDOM lol was great fun catching them!! Not exactly what I had in mind hmmmmm especially as the supplier sent me a very rude message when I noticed they'd taken an extra £5 from my bank account telling me "they will be transported in a box you can use for many years to come" yeah right for what???

Those photographs are just super They look to be larger than the zebra finches.

Their colours are striking! I think you will be spoiling those 4.

Emmy

Those photographs are just super They look to be larger than the zebra finches.

Their colours are striking! I think you will be spoiling those 4.

Emmy

they're teeny TINY compared to my zeebies but they might grow?

Do they feed on the same seed etc as the normal finches? I just cant get over how sstunning t hey look.

Emmy

I thought as much after you said the seller advised you to get two pairs so they traveled better !

he is full of tricks like this

They have a very poor reputation and no way should they have charged you anther fiver for the box

they have at least got to you in reasonable state more than can be said of others who have had birds off them

another forum has several threads on people who have had trouble with them

good luck with them they are an attractive lively bird they look great in a mixed collection

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, it's been a HUGE learning curv but at least the birds themselves are alright, that's really the main thing, as I said before though, will NOT be going down this route again, things I've learnt include (a) finches will travel in pairs just as happily or not as in groups, seller's only "advise" taking more to double their money (B) do NOT give your card or bank account details to someone you don't know, get their bank details and SEND them the money and © NEVER buy anything you've not seen :fool:

You could always pay using 'Paypal' and then they wouldnt be able to take more money without your approval.

Emmy

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, it's been a HUGE learning curv but at least the birds themselves are alright, that's really the main thing, as I said before though, will NOT be going down this route again, things I've learnt include (a) finches will travel in pairs just as happily or not as in groups, seller's only "advise" taking more to double their money ( B) do NOT give your card or bank account details to someone you don't know, get their bank details and SEND them the money and © NEVER buy anything you've not seen :fool:

You forgot (d) stress can make you age 10 years :rofl:

They truely are beautiful birds... I went to my local bird shop today and they had some in there for £59 a pair. They were so tiny and sweet, i just wanted to take them all home with me!

That is some fantastic photographs Naomi.

Kerry

TOTALLY GUTTED - lost one of the owl's this morning, long story but edited "highlights" are cleaning cage with mother's dog in shed is VERY BAD idea, birds got spooked and one escaped, I would have caught it except the dog continued to go mad and the poor thing (bird, not dog) forced itself through my mesh inner door and into the big wide world.

Again would have caught the bird in my garden (they seem to tire quickly) but VERY STUPID dog gave chase and we've not seen little owl since.

Worst part is the enourmous down pours we've had this afternoon mean my little one has probably already perished.

GUTTED, beyond words

So sorry to read this after all the bother you had getting them. I know how you feel about it being out there - one of my Texan White quails escaped once. Its a horrible feeling to have.  I was lucky though my neighbours helped me search and we found it.

Emmy