birdman

Obbb Chick As Left The Nest

heres a pic of my obbb chick that fledge 4 days ago and the best surprise was that the parents were sitting on eggs while this one was still in nest and all 4 eggs have hatch so now I have 1 in cage and 4 just hatched in nest never had this before from a pair

post-2315-0-97800100-1369596263_thumb.jp

richard

Hi Richard that's a real bonny chick you have there.  That adult pair are being really nice to you giving you another 4. (LOL)

Emmy

when my birds had their first brood (only producing one chick) the hen started laying before the chick had even fledged.  She got four eggs in it, which I took away because I wanted them to concentrate on their chick and not more eggs.  Maybe I should have left them and I would have more by now like you do!

hi guys thanks for comment and I hope they turn out as good as parents. I only left eggs in because I didn't think they would be fertile and I thought that because they only had 1 chick it stood a better chance of not getting squashed if it had some eggs around it, just luck I think will  have to see

thanks richard

Beautiful chick!

Keep a close eye on them though... One of my pairs started laying again yesterday while the chicks were still in the nest. I found all three chicks on the cage floor this morning with tail feathers missing and empty crops. Unfortunately one had died. Once i removed the 2 eggs and put the chicks back in, the parents started feeding them again.

I should have removed the egg they laid yesterday. I have learned my lesson and now i know better.

Kerry

hi Kerry

yes the chick is beautiful and i'm keeping my eye on the other chicks which I believe  are 7 days old  so iv'e put leg rings on them. all seem to be doing very well always got a full crop even the oldest 1. im sorry about what happen to your birds that why I think it was just luck on my side or very good parents but I no i'll not let it happen again this is a one off .any way hows your season going mines really started now all nest are full of chicks not just 1 or 2 in a nest  its now 4s or more must have been the weather or maybe its because its there first season time will tell all the best

richard

It seems the parents to my birds have stopped feeding the chicks completely now and i've lost another one. It's my own fault for not removing the eggs as they were laid.

My season started off really bad with lots of clear eggs and chick tossing, but they seem to have settled down now and i have fertile eggs and chicks everywhere! I am off and holiday in 3 weeks so all my birds are breeding in the aviary now to make it easier for the house sitters. I dont think they could have coped with feeding the birds in 17 cages lol.

Im glad your birds are doing well and i wish you lots of healthy chicks :D

Kerry

im sorry you have lost another chick and you cant go blaming yourself  about it sometimes I think birds do this for a number of reasons.my season started off like yours ie infertile eggs or chicks getting thrown from nest but all seem settle now .iv got 1 pair that's just hatched there second round that im keeping tabs on because they threw all there chicks out fingers cross there ok this time because out of 6 I saved 2 as they must have done it in night and I was too late finding them. 

I hope you have lots of luck and have a good season

Richard

Thanks Richard.

It's so frustrating to find tossed chicks in the morning when its too late to save them. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Kerry

thanks Kerry (day 2 everything fine with this pair up to now and there on 4 chicks now with 2 eggs to go hope fully it was a case of first time nerves will have to wait and see but im up there every morning at the crack of dawn just to make sure this pair are ok with there chicks now) and iv got every thing cross this time lol

richard