brio

Newbie From Peak District

Hi everyone,

I had zebra finches when I was a kid, and have decided to have them again, probably a pair. I've been gleaning information here and there on the forum...very helpful. First things first, I need to decide on the cage. It will be located in the conservatory, which means lots of natural light, but also potential problems with the door opening and closing causing draught. I was thinking a 30x24x15 breeding cage. The advantage I see with this cage, is that 3 sides are closed so protecting the birds. I thought I would ask before purchasing anything. 

I'll be looking for a breeder in the Derbyshire/Manchester area when everything's ready.

My intention is not to start a breeding program, but just to have healthy and happy birds.

Thanks in advance for your much valued advice.

Welcome Brio,

Not able to advise re cage etc. but I'm sure someone will help.

Anyway- enjoy the Forum.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Brio and welcome to the forum.

The cage is a good size for a pair of finches. I cant see that opening and closing the door would cause enough of a draught to bother them unless you keep it open for long periods of time or are constantly in and out all day. Being in a breeding cage will hep against draught too so I would think they should be fine.

Good luck finding your birds and don't forget to post pictures when you get them :)

Kerry

Hi Brio welcome to the forum

Up until  recently I have had some of my zebra finch cages in my conservatory. I had some in the orinex breeding cages (they have 3 sides filled in only the front open and I've also had normal cages where sides were not closed.

I not only have both my conservatory doors open most of the day (windows too) but i  have two fans on as well. I've finally had to move the cages into another room meantime because it was very worrying if I went out shopping The doors then had to be closed and even if I left the windows open if he sun came out the temp. in the  conservatory can rise VERY quickly  that's why I had used two fans as well. I did feel that the birds were 'happier' in the 'open' cages when they were in the conservatory. Keeping them in the conservatory during the other seasons is OK  and they do get plenty light. The  doors being open all the time didnt do the birds any harm. Some even reared their young without any problems Hope this helps.

Emmy

thank you all, and yes this helps a lot. Judging from your experience, Emmy, I might go for a cage with all sides open then.

Brio I forgot to say that in my opinion the bigger the cage you  can afford to get the  better for the birds.it lets them get more exercise (room for flying) ;) ) there's a selection of cages for sale  (on line) in  Supapets (sometimes they have reductions in price too) also on  Amazon UK

Emmy