Clare L

Silver Hen

My First Silver hen of the year.

Still moulting through but nearly there.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac9/Claretrx7/bth_newZebs03072013078_zps2cd30ea6.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac9/Claretrx7/bth_newZebs03072013060_zps4755d86c.jpg

The Cheek patches fooled me a bit, thought she was a cock for a while :crazy:

Hi Clare

She looks nice. I've bred a few this year and was keen to see yours to compare with mine. I'll post some photos when they are a little bit older. they are darker than this and I am pleased that both cocks and hens are a similar shade

Is this a recessive silver Clare? This silver looks very similar to my Isabel hen with male markings... I am starting to wonder if my Isabel is not an Isabel at all....

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

As Trevor said she is indeed a dominant silver hen.

There is a photo of a Florida Silver ( it looks to be a silver Isabel) on efinch, take a look it might help you work out what your hen is.

Look under dominant or recessive silver on their website.

Hi Jon,

My Silvers this year are darker than last year, except the hen, the two cocks also produced are quite dark, I also have a new chick just fledged not sure of sex yet.

Will post a pic when a bit older seems to be quite light, from one of last years silver hens will be interesting to see how it turns out as this is the first chick to be born, where one of the parents is silver, the other chick in the nest is normal from a  BC Silver hen & Normal Cock pairing.

Hope all goes well for you

Clare

Thanks Trevor and Clare. Does anyone have any pictures of a recessive silver that I can compare mine to? I will look on Efinch now as well.

Kerry