Clive125

Remiss Of Me

Hi,

My name is Clive Kent, I am 68 years old and retired from the Royal Air Force and a couple of other jobs and now living in Stamford, Lincs. I became a member of this forum some time ago and have only just realised I never introduced myself to you all, my apologies for this. 

All through my life I have enjoyed keeping birds. My first aviary was in Cyprus with budgerigars and built with a Swiss army knife lol. From there I progressed to canaries for a number of years and was quite successful with the breeding of Lizard Canaries. Now my interest lies with Zebra Finches which I have kept for just over a year and have successfully reared 30 youngsters from 3 pairs this, my first year of breeding.

Clive

• Like 1

Hi Clive

That's nice of you to introduce yourself (you know the old saying -"Better late than never" ;) )

Do you only have the finches now?

It's great how quickly 6 birds can produce all those young. I used to keep all the young chicks but lately I've had to sell some.

Look forward to reading your posts be nice if you have some photos to share.

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

Yes, I only have the Zebra finches now, they are such fascinating little birds and can give you a few surprises with their offspring. When I initially got the 10 (5 pairs) I started out with, which were Normals, CFW and Fawn I expected just that in the youg but then all of a sudden along comes a Pied.

At the moment I am building another larger birdroom by converting a 7ft by 7ft shed to a 13ft by 7ft one, then that with the existing  10ft by 6ft one should then give me plenty of room. I'll try and get some pictures posted up soon.

Clive

Hi Clive, welcome to the forum.

A very good introduction I must say.

I Hope you enjoy being part of our community.

Gary.

Hi Clive

You'll find a big difference having more space but I guess it will soon be filled up (lol)

Those wee birds do turn out some surprises (lol)

The only ones I'm having bother getting to breed just now are a pair of normal. She laid 1egg but neither of them were interested in it.

I've got pieds, fawns, CFW, normals, B Breasted and OBreasted but I think the last two colours are split for other colour. My son has just started my outside aviary, at the moment I keep all my birds in the house :lol:  and as well as ?? zebbies I have 3 cockatiels and canaries too,  I also have CPQ's and Texan White Quails and finally Rabelou my pet duck-- good job they're outside. lol)

They keep me busy :crazy:

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

What have you got up there in Scotland, sounds like a smallholding with all that livestock. lol :)

Clive

:good:

Now a small holding would have been nice!! but unfortunately -I just have a bungalow with a very large garden.

I just love birds and animals. They are good company. It will definitely be a lot better when I get the aviary at least I'll get some more space in the house (lol) but I've been warned by my family  that when the aviary I finished all the birds must go in there!  But we'll see what happens I've got one/two that I had to hand feed and are quite tame So...? I'm saying no more :rofl:

Emmy

Welcome Clive,

60 chicks from 3 pairs that's some going.

Like you I am first year serious Zebie and hope to show, but I only managed 16 chicks from 3 pairs. I was into Budgies but couldn't keep up with all the changes to shape and style etc..

Anyway from one ex service person to another- ENJOY!!

Andy

Thank you for the welcome Clare, you too Andy, I think you misread my post as its 30 young from 3 pairs lol I agree 60 would have been some going. I was going to go back to breeding budgerigars but like you say the standard is ever changing I still think Zebra finches offer the greater challenge when breeding for size, type and colour.

Clive