norfolk flyer

Another First Bfbc Pied

All,

Had to share this pic of my new BFBC Pied male, still hasn't fully moulted out but he's gonna be good,

Parents are BFBC pied x BCLB pied they've had two broods and he's from the second one,

Also another thing i'm pleased about is the flank markings, once again there black so i'm gradually eliminating this :)

Comments welcome !

Trevor :)  :)

IMG_7724.jpg

Enjoy !!

Trevor,

Are you trying for a certain pied colours or just experimenting?

One question I was meaning to ask is can pied be bred out of zebras, I have bred the 3 chicks (I put picture on another post) the black cheek young just have a white feather in there wings can this be breed out of them or will pied always stay as pied.

Chris

Chris,

I was actually paired up to try and get one, so not bad really it worked out 12.5%  = 1 in 8 eggs on a average.

No is the answer to that, the pied gene can lay dormant for ages the suddenly unbeknown to you another zeb might have this dormant gene as well that's when it's activated again.

But it will not show visually, so for ex if you bred a normal pied x normal = 100% normal split pied (not visual) but take note which are split and which are not with what you do.

Hope this helps Chris,

All the best,

Trevor :)

• Like 1

Fantastic looking bird Trevor!

I would love to breed BC pieds as I love the black and white contrast, however, I hate that the pied gene shows up in all my other birds so I refuse to keep any in my aviary! Even now I have BB's fledging with that one white wing feather that drives me crazy :crazy:

Kerry

Hi Trevor,

I understand that mate, I to after this season will be trying to reduce the number of pieds in my flight. There all going to have one more round in the flight then its sorting out time for next year I started late this season but happy with what I have out so far. I do have plenty of pied chicks out ill get some pictures when there coloured up a bit better.

Cheers.

P.s- take a look a the bf cfw female post.

Sorry guys been off for a while...

None of my BB's are heavily pied, some just have that one primary wing feather that's white... very annoying! I always sell the ones with any pied in them to try and eliminate it but it just doesn't work as so many birds are hiding the gene.

Kerry