squiggley

Hello From North Devon

Hi

Bit of a long story of how I got into zebras.  

Been more into tropical fish for years but the eldest grew an interest in finches. However after a bad start of losing 4 zebbies he decided that budgies were going to be more suitable, as he really wanted birds which could be hand tamed. It was good fortune that a work colleagues husband decided that he was going to give up his budgies and return to pigeons so after building an aviary I purchased his stock.

A couple of months later the colleagues husband mentioned that he was going to get rid of his finches in the new year, he was keeping them to sort of pay the keep for the pigeons but decided he needed the aviary space for the pigeons as well.  I sort of said I might be interested in the New Year as it would give me time to organised the garden to fit a second aviary.  However a few weeks ago he approached me and asked if I would be interested in taking the finches early i.e. in a couple of weeks time so muggins said ok.

Spent this weeks holiday from work building an aviary for them and whilst I was at it and had the wood my daughter told me I might as well make the guinea pig run I had been promising to build all summer.

Darren

Thanks Dan

Had great advice from the forum members when we had a bad start about a year ago.

Will need some help identifying the types I've got, although the prvious owner told me which were what types, I've forgotten or been confused by my son.

Wherw would be the best place to some pics up for identication?

Welcome to the forum Darren

Bet your family are glad they have  a Dad like you :good: (It's in reverse for me - its my son that's doing my aviary (lol))

Now if you have budgies, finches and hopefully a guinea pig (or two?)

why not get some Chinese Painted quails for the bottom of the aviaries and then some canaries to finish it off. ;)

(I've still to add the budgies to my collection (lol))

Emmy

Now if you have budgies, finches and hopefully a guinea pig (or two?)

why not get some Chinese Painted quails for the bottom of the aviaries and then some canaries to finish it off. ;)

(I've still to add the budgies to my collection (lol))

Emmy

Hi Emmy

Got a couple of green canaries with the finches, 2 cocks unfortunately so will be looking for females as well as some quails.

Beware budgies are noisy compared to finches, ie screech instead of cheeping. Although we do have about 24 of them.

Friends often refer to our house as the zoo because of our pets.

1 cat

1 dog

2 guinea pigs (daughters)

1 bearded dragon

2 aquariums -  although I just put a 9 tank breeding system into storage in the garage.

1 1000litre pond

And the youngest is waiting, patiently, to get some degus - told him there would be no more pets until he got his degus and then I sneeked in the finches.

Hi and welcome to the forum Darren.

Your house sounds a bit like mine! I have around 100 finches, 4 lineolated parakeets, 3 Californian quail, 10 Chinese painted quail, 2 canaries, 2 gouldian finches, 16 mice and a dog :D Next on my list is a couple of rabbits for the kids....

I used to work with Degu's a long time ago and loved them. They are comical to watch :lol:

Kerry

Hi Darren,

There aren't many of us down yer so welcome.

If you are down Exeter way at all give me a shout and come and visit.

What part of North Devon are you in.?

Anyway.. Enjoy!!

Hi Darren,

There aren't many of us down yer so welcome.

If you are down Exeter way at all give me a shout and come and visit.

What part of North Devon are you in.?

Anyway.. Enjoy!!

I'm in South Molton near Barnstaple.

Seems to be a habit of mine choosing hobbies that there are no local clubs or decent stockist but I could get fish by post. 

Although I was told that there is a bird show in Bideford next Sunday

I'm in South Molton near Barnstaple.

Seems to be a habit of mine choosing hobbies that there are no local clubs or decent stockist but I could get fish by post. 

Although I was told that there is a bird show in Bideford next Sunday

Yes- Devon & Cornwall Bird Club Sale. Northam Hall Fore Street Northam... 01598710837.. There is also one at Taunton on 27th same phone number. There is also one at Torbay B&FBS this Sunday same phone number again.

Andy

Thanks Dan

Had great advice from the forum members when we had a bad start about a year ago.

Will need some help identifying the types I've got, although the prvious owner told me which were what types, I've forgotten or been confused by my son.

Wherw would be the best place to some pics up for identication?

yopu could either post piks in 2 categroies they are

Questions relating to colour and genetics     or 

all other coulours

everyong who can help will help, just start a new topic and post away and let the brilliant people on this forum help.

dan