Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Need Help In Identifyng Bird

Be grateful if anyone can identify the colour of this bird

Could it be an  OB or a BB hen ?

Thanks Emmy

BBorOBhen_zps7de5062d.jpg

Hi Emmy,

Is there any orange in the tail, having trouble telling from the pic ( looks like there is )

But I'm thinking more BB.

What are the parents?

Clare

Emmy,

Could well be,

Has she got spots on her flanks as in a male but more faintly,

These are called ghost markings and that would tell you straight away that she's OBBB,

Did you breed this ?

Nice female though,

Trevor :)

Thanks Clare and Trevor

I have another hen similar to this one  (siblings) they both look similar to their mother - but she died. but the two hens are not identical I'm sure their tail feathers are different too.

I have asked before about them when they were chicks but they both look different now. The dad did have an orange breast.

I have been sitting for hours today  trying to trap  them so I can get them out from the inside aviary so I can get a better look at them and also as I want to pair up a few of them . I had to give up!! They won that round but tomorrow I'm removing all the seed dishes from the aviary and they will then HAVE to go into the 'trap' to get food. :aggressive:

When I manage to get  a closer look I'll post back. :smile:

Emmy

Trevor

I'll let you do that honour when I see  you  in May :p  :p

:yahoo:  :yahoo: I've managed to  catch them today. So I've paired up a grey pied female with the OB male.

the other pairing is a grey pied to one of the birds I was trying to identify so the hen   will either be a BB/OB or an OB

Emmy

hi emmy

the hen looks to me as a bb split ob as I cant see any orange on her cheeks or flanks.if you look on my gallery you will see one of my obbbs hen which will give you a better idea on what to look for in a obbb hen if it will help you .hope it will must must say its a very nice hen indeed you have there.

richard

Thanks Richard

I'll have a look at the gallery.

Don't know what to expect with those pairings but it will be interesting to see what  happens

Emmy

Well I had world war 3 on my hands last night.

I've managed to  catch them today. So I've paired up a grey pied female with the OB male.

the other pairing is a grey pied to one of the birds I was trying to identify so the hen   will either be a BB/OB or an OB

This is what I said yesterday and it is what I did.

The grey pied hen and the OB male were OK but there again they seemed to have already paired up when in the aviary. The other two had all guns blazing.  So last night I had to put a divider in their cage to keep the two battlers apart or I guess I would have had a death on my hands this morning.

I have just tried removing the divider and off they started again -feathers flying -this was definitely not love at first sight. :o

so in goes the divider again and they are still trying  to get  at each other through the divider.

I thought perhaps I had made the same mistake as Trevor did once and had two males together but I'm sure if the 'BB/OB or OB' was a male bird it would have had cheek patches :unknw:

Just wondering if it could be that both the cages are next to each other and maybe that grey pied just fancies the pied hen that's in the next cage :unsure2:

Guess I'll just have to separate them and try another set up unless anyone can come up with any suggestions :laugh:

Emmy

Emmy,

I always put the females in first then introduce the males within the week,

Could try that,

You won't forget about the two females will you, there was me thinking I won't hear that again, :o

Trevor :)

You won't forget about the two females will you, there was me thinking I won't hear that again, :o

:rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: The answer to that is NO! I wont forget :D  -I thought that one would have earned you a place in the Guinness Book of Records :rofl: especially if the eggs hatched out. :lol:

I was beginning to think I had put two males together :fool:

I have separated those two but I'm thinking I'd be better using a different hen but I'll try what you suggested Trevor about putting the female in the cage first. I really thought it would have been OK with them having been in with the others in the inside aviary.

Emmy