Gu53bee

Bee From Cheshire

Hi from a newbie zebra owner.

I had 4 lovebirds, but gradually was left with 1 lonely self-plucking bird. I decided to invigorate him by buying him a large indoor aviary. He was delighted......but dropped dead 36 hours later!

I'd already decided that when he went, I would have some zebra finches. We were on holiday in the New Forest when my son phoned to say what had happened. We visited a number of pet centres and then discovered Riverside Aviaries. There was an old cage for £5. So, after phoning home to ask my sons to scrub the indoor aviary.......

We ended up driving the 5 hours home with 4 males "Peep, peep-peeping", all the way!

They seem to settled in. It was fascinating when they went into the aviary how they gathered together, rapidly looking all around to assess their new home.

I'd love any hints or tips as I've read up as much as possible, but still feel I might need advice about the basics.

For example- what fresh fruit or veg they might like? do they like a bath? Will a budgie cage-type bath be suitable? How many birds are recommended in a 100x60x150 cage!

I bought 3 from 1 cage and 1 from another. They're not tending to mix. How can I encourage them?

Can/ how do I introduce more later?

I feel maybe I don't know which questions to ask, so please feel free to pass on your favourite tip.

I'd like to know what the name is for each colour I have so will try to attach photos.

I'm interested in a charcoal and an orange-breasted male, if anyone in Cheshire/Liverpool/north wales has any young ready in the next few weeks.

Thank you in advance,

Bee

Zorro

post-3287-0-25420100-1397890498_thumb.jp

Zadok

post-3287-0-27858700-1397890521_thumb.jp

Zaphod

post-3287-0-22710900-1397890547_thumb.jp

And Ziggy

post-3287-0-12303700-1397890572_thumb.jp

Hi Bee,

Welcome to the forum. What a great story. I'm sure your questions will be answered.

I can answer a few.. Yes, a Budgie bath is good and they will enjoy bathing. They will be individuals so some will/might not bathe so often. Slice of apple or pear and even a segment or two of orange would be enjoyed, Green leafs BUT not too much lettuce. (goes straight through if too much) They would probably like egg food called EMP or other brands. (You can buy some in Pets at Home)

I think Zorro is a 'Normal', Zadok is a 'Black Cheek Normal' Zaphod is a 'Chestnut Flanked White' & Ziggy looks like he is a 'Fawn' (can't really see enough colour)

Anyway.. Enjoy our hobby and ask away because there will always be someone who can help.

Andy

Hi Bee
Welcome to the forum.

Loved reading how you came to get Zebra finches (lol) although it was sad you lost your love bird - I had two female peach faced love birds but they died about 2 years ago (12years old) .

You have got some nice birds and variety of colours too. I agree with Andy re the colours
I give my finches cress. I also give mine oyster shell grit and cuttlefish. They love panicum millet too and millet spray.
Occasionally I put a little charcoal (available at pet stores)mixed in with their grit.

Now what you really need to get is 4 females :lol:  that will keep them all happy.
Joking apart its wonderful watching them build their nest and seeing the young develop -just fascinating.

I have some sitting on eggs just now.

Hope you enjoy having them but  be warned though- zebra finches are infectious - you'll find you wont be able to resist buying more :rofl:

Emmy

Thank you both.

I gave them some cress yesterday. They were delighted.

Re females.

I'm soppy over my pets. I don't think I could part with the babies, or destroy eggs.

I was advised that with 6 birds, 3 of each sex, I would be likely to have 60 by this time next year.

As we're having to use subtitles on the TV with the 4 I have, I can't begin to imagine 60!

Re them being individuals.....and how!

Zaphod is the bravest. First to hop into the aviary from the cage. First to a new swing. First to the cress.

Zadok is so people-friendly. He was the bred from exhibition stock and I think he knows it.

Zorro photo-bombs! So hard to get a pic without him hopping in at the last mo.

Ziggy is so pretty but either shy, or let's be honest, not very bright.

He kept trying to join the others in the aviary by just flying upwards in the travel cage, then protesting loudly that he was on the cage ceiling again. Zaphod came back down and showed him the large gap. He's really hard to get a pic of, as he stays near the back when I'm there.

I was told the aviary is suitable for up to 10 birds and am hoping to get to a bird auction soon. But I am quite happy at the mo with my 4 noisy little additions to our living room.

I'm soppy over my pets. I don't think I could part with the babies, or destroy eggs.

That's me too (lol) If any seem not going to make it or if the parents stop feeding their young I take over and hand rear them.

I started with one pair, then they had young - kept them-bought some more different colours. Bought a large inside aviary - next was some more cages Now I'm getting the outside aviary built.

I now have 37 finches and some of those sitting on eggs, 8 canaries plus the 4 new canary chicks, 4 Bengalese, 2 Gouldians, 2 Chinese painted quails, 9 Texan white quails and 7 CPQ's eggs and 5 Texan white eggs in the incubator.  (I also have one house demolisher - a 10 month old Chihuahua puppy (lol))

I have sold some of the birds and have given some away to friends - the first time parting with any is the worst. But so long as I know they are going to good homes it's OK.

Breeding them is fascinating.

Emmy

• Like 1

What a fabulous list!

I'm learning so much, so quickly.

I actually came home early from a day out today, because I wanted to sit with my birds before they nod off. They settle about 7 which is the usual time I get to sit down.

I've heard new noise this afternoon....like their batteries are running out.

Before I got them , I only knew about their " peep-peeps".

Once I got them home, we quickly heard their "I'm a squeaky floorboard" battles.

I was dreading the family saying they couldn't stand the racket, but whilst this is almost continuous, apparently it's quieter than the lovebirds used to be.

Also my hubby's African Grey, Hercule, is sitting on the other side of the room singing "Always look on the bright side of life".

Anyone have any ideas what the various songs are about?

Any more songs that might be on the horizon?

Bee,

When your birds are really settled in you will probably be able to identify each cock bird by it's call. We have 'What's Up, What's Up' another is 'Pieces of Eight, Pieces of Eight'

and you'll also get machine gunned with Eh,Eh,Eh. I could go on but I'll let you find out.

Andy 

• Like 1

Hi Bee,

Amusing read & welcome to the forum.

I have a zeb that sounds like a dogs squeaky toy :lol:  which I find very funny, they certainly do have different calls ;)

Hope you get some partners for your males, you will get some nice chicks from them.

All the best

Clare :smile:

• Like 1

Went looking at zebra finches in a pet centre today, just musing on what to get to add to my gang.

I was a bit lost in thought.

You know a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.... Well, when I asked, "You see that one 4th from the left. Is that a penguin? "....

I have never seen a shop assistant's eyebrows raise that high before!

What books do people recommend?

You know a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.... Well, when I asked, "You see that one 4th from the left. Is that a penguin? "....

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Now that's a situation where I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall to see the expression on the assistant's face :lol:  :lol:

You wont regret buying the Chris Blackwell book it's first class!

Emmy

Yep, best Zebra Book published.  Unfortunately now out of print, you were lucky to get hold of one, a good read.

Frank

My black cheek male is spending much of his time tearing up newspaper and taking it up to the feeding tray which has grit in it.

I was advised having all males, not to provide a nest box as it might confuse them.

Should I give him a nest box?

Also, he has been tail quivering.

Have I got a female not a male?

Bee looking at your photos again I'm sure its 4 males you have there.

What he  is probably doing is getting himself ready to breed.  (Looking for a mate!!!! :good:  :rofl: )

My 'Woopsie' the male finch that I hand reared is doing that too at the moment, I know he is wanting a mate  but he's getting neither a nest box nor a mate! because he's a Big Bully! and he should have been put in jail for 'Domestic Abuse' for how he treated the last 3 mates he had :crazy:  (He's now  working out  his 'sentence' in solitary confinement ;) )

Bee best thing you could do is go out and buy a female Zebra Finch :good:  :lol:

Emmy

My Chris Blackwell book arrived.

I've read the first chapter and am full of new questions already.

Does the 9 year coloured ring system still happen? If so, what are this year and last year's colours?

Do people keep new purchases in isolation? If so, just a different cage, or a different room?

How would you then introduce them?

Hi bee , this years colour is green last year was black . Keep new birds on there own for a few week .before putting them with your own .

Baz

I went to my first auction yesterday. Had to sit on my hands! Especially seeing Gary's lovely birds.

I utterly fell for a trio of Chinese painted quail. I resisted.....for now.

Hope it's ok to pick people's brain here. I read a generous comment on another post that said many of you have other birds as well.

Where do I start?

I've an indoor aviary, 100x60x150cm, still with my 4 zebra cocks, in our living room.

Will they mind sharing with cp quail?

Is the floor space big enough?

Will the finches make the quail too skittish?

Will our African grey barking like a pack of dogs make them too skittish?

Do the Chinese quail smell too much to keep in a living room? I was told Japanese quail smell and to avoid them being kept indoors.

How noisy are they? We're needing the subtitles on the TV with just the zebra boys.

If I have just quail hens, will they keep laying? I haven't got enough space for babies and I'd find it difficult to part with any babies.

And......what size toast fingers do you need with a boiled quail egg?...... :)

Hi Bee,

I kept CPQs in a similar size aviary with Canaries about 25years ago. (But not indoors) I boiled the eggs and mashed them with wholemeal digestive biscuits and fed it to Canaries as a soft/egg food.

Toast size fingers would probably be matchstick size.  :lol:  

Andy

Hi Bee

Before I put my 2 CPQ's into the outside flight I had kept them in a large cage in the conservatory (Not sure of the measurements of that cage but I think it was roughly 100cm x50cmx60cm- but cpqs can get themselves through small spaces in the type of cage I had (I had bought it for my rabbits ) but a bird aviary cage should be OK. Like everything else Bee so long as you keep the cage clean they don't smell.

The other thing is quails can jump quite high if they get a fright  that's why you have to be careful if the cage is not very high because if they hit their head it could kill them.

My two that I have just now in the outside flight get on OK with the canaries and the finches. Not sure about this but I wouldn't advise you to get 2 cock birds - they may fight and they are mature they do crow and believe me for their size its LOUD!

So if you are not wanting to breed them I would say definitely get 2 females.

When they are mature they do lay eggs usually one every day but mine stopped laying when it was colder weather and started again in the spring.

Their eggs are small much smaller than the Texan Whites /Japanese quail.

Hope this helps

Emmy

Excuse the question if it's silly...

As I have all male zebra finches, if I keep all female Chinese painted quail, would they be releasing any hormonal aroma that might excite my zebs?