Sign in to follow this  
SarahR

Sarah From Blackpool

Ok, before you start wondering, yes i am BpoolKev's daughter who pestered him into building an aviary :)

but i only wanted budgies, as they are my main interest.

and so far we have 4 budgies 4 finches and 4 quail, also 2 dogs 5 plecs and a lot of fish :)

my main hobby is 10 pin bowling, although now im slowly going to make it my hobby to breed budgies, i attend auctions and got my first 2 boy finches from there at £1.50 each.

i hate football, but i used to go fishing with my dad. i dont know any of the finch mutations so hopefully someone could help me out with them :)

thanks for reading.

post-3353-0-96940200-1400826672_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum Sarah. We won't hold it against you for being Kev's daughter

From little acorns great oaks grow.

Plenty of members keep more than just Zebra Finches. We have Canaries and Bengalese as well as a couple of Budgies left over from when I changed to Finches 18 months ago.

Anyway, enjoy the forum!!

Andy 

thank you. and it was meant to be in a joking manor, unfortunately, it doesn't show via text, haha :)  all of our birds live together in peaceful harmony.....that is until they breed when little rebel chicks will be annoying them, haha :) 

Hi Sarah and welcome from a fellow newbie to the forum.

I too, had plans of what I would keep....the zebs....but 1 auction later had fallen for Chinese painted quails and now have 5 of those pottering about under the finches.

Have fun

Bee

haha gotta love the quail, i too have Chinese. 2 F 1 M, turns out we have finch eggs! after 1 week of the female finches being in, so im expecting weird mutations :D and welcome to the forum yourself :)

Hi Sarah

Just realised I hadn't posted a 'Welcome ' to you since you joined the forum.

(Better late than never :) )

So WELCOME to the forum Sarah looking forward to reading your posts.

Emmy

ps I have CPQ too :biggrin:

Nice budgies Sarah, I have cockatiels but don't have any budgies (yet!!??) 

but I've read that although cockatiels can be kept with the zebra finches budgies cant be kept in the same flight as zebra finches.

I did have one  some years ago and it was very tame, a real little character.

Emmy

hi emmy, we got told the same, but people who say that usually never tried it (as we figured out) cockatiels can't be kept with budgies but can be kept with finches. however budgies can be kept with:

Quail

Canary

Finches 

we don't have any canary yet, and probably wont get any. 

our budgies, quail and finches are living together perfectly, they all look after each other, the finches preen the budgies and the budgies look like they feed the finches the odd time.

i have cages ready just in case something does happen, but so far they look fine, they even sleep next to each other and they dont seem to care :)

Thanks for your information Sarah, I do have cockatiels but at the moment one pair is confined to their own breeding section in the inside flight (lol) they have 4 eggs in their nest plus a dummy egg that I had to put in when she cracked her first egg -- I did try to remove the dummy egg but there is no way I can tell the difference :o , every egg is smooth no little rough part that you would expect to find on a dummy egg. so I've left it alone-- will definitely get a BIG surprise if all 5 eggs hatch out :rofl:

So from what you have said IF a budgie arrives unexpectedly on my doorstep I guess  it will have to be kept in the house- :lol:

Emmy

haha, i think you would have to send a thank you complaint to the fake egg producer :D and only if you have finches and cockatiels together. heres a link to show what can happen:

Sorry but this link has been removed, please read the forum rules relating to images of sick or injured birds..

also i misread the article, budgie can live with cockatiels but not around breeding season. though not many people say you should, theres no risk from trying to put all 3 together.....as long as you can separate them. i put mine in cages before i release them. 

when i get them they go into a cage, the cage is then put into the aviary for about 4-10 hours, then i release them. thats what i have done with my budgies and finches. never put lovebirds in though, all local breeders have told me thats a big no no xD