Emmy

Barrabands and Amazon Parrots

I have a pair of Barraband parrots Tiko (male) and Tika(female) I also have Bobby the Amazon parrot (sex unknown).

Today I let Tiko and Tika out to free fly in the conservatory -lots of space.  Bobby's cage was on the floor  in the conservatory while the other two were out flying.  (haven't tried letting the three of them out together yet)

Tika landed on the top of Bobby's cage and started 'chirping' to Bobby - it looked as though she wanted in beside him.

Next thing really surprised me she flew off Bobby's cage flew towards Tiko and started to attack him- pulling at his feathers etc and had him squawking. Poor thing was terrified.

Anyone have any idea if this is normal behaviour for parrots. I have just put a nest box in Tika &Tiko's cage but I'm thinking I'd just be as well to remove it if she has taken a dislike to her mate.  (She is definitely NOT getting in beside Bobby!!);))

Emmy

Seems like some naughty birdy has her eye on a better prize:rofl: Could only happen to you:)

• Like 1

Lets get Jeremy Kyle!!! haha!

maybe being in the same room with Bobby, she decided to like him instead and saw her own mate as a threat.

Its a situation like me and my Lexi, She hates anybody that comes near me when im on my bed but off my bed shes fine......can just be moody to males haha

• Like 1

Maybe Tika knows more than me for I don't even know the sex of the Amazon (lol) but the person I bought the Barrabands from has given me a bit of advice.  I should stop interacting with Tiko (male) he was the tamest of the two but its so difficult to ignore them when they are tame and come to you.  The other advice was to remove all the other birds away from the Barrabands  and only go to their cage to feed them and clean the cage. I'm sure he said that they only breed once a year but I'll need to check on that.

If that doesn't work then I may take your advice Sarah and get in touch with Jeremy Kyle -- now that would give a different slant to that programme (lol)

"Seems like some naughty birdy has her eye on a better prize"  Clare if  'she' doesn't mend her ways and if she keeps attacking her partner  I'll just send for the 'police' and get her arrested for cruelty. :lol: but I'm removing 'temptation' out of her way and meantime the conservatory will be out of bounds for Bobby.;)

Hopefully come the late Spring I may hear the fluttering of tiny wings and if that happens there will be tears to follow if I have to part with them;)

ps I had a peek in the cockatiels' nest this afternoon and one egg has hatched 3 more to go!:D

Emmy

i would personally go to that jeremy kyle show....and bring my lexi :D 

i got 2 new teils myself today, someone was moving so i bought them off him, £30 for two and a large vision cage......one of them is a whiteface.....just need a hen now! got 3 males! 

you could try slowly re-introducing them to each other........might trick her into thinking hes a new one :P 

You got a real bargain there with the teils and the cage.  You got it wrong Sarah ;)you'll need 3 more cockatiels (hens) you can't just let one of them have a partner :rolleyes: :lol:

:lol:  Things looked a bit better today-- Bobby not allowed near them-- and both Tika and Tiko were out for a while no fighting!.  I had a good look at the nest box I had bought for them and decided to put it down on its side and Tika immediately became interested in it - so fingers crossed -hope this works out.

Tiko is determined to get 'built up' so he can stand up to her bullying him so he thought he would begin with some 'Irn Bru' (:)

56dca95e7d9f9_Tiko6thMarch2016.thumb.JPG

BUT Tika is keeping an eye on him.

56dca980e5f53_Tika6thMarch2016.thumb.JPG

i was planning on one pair of teils for now haha.......but chances are it will turn into 3 pairs :D  

the previous owners told me they are called Bonnie and Clyde :)

irn bru is good stuff! if he carries on you will have a buff bird :D

this is the cage i got....with the toys!....they also let me keep the travel cage (looks brand new) which is only small, suitable for 1 budgie :P 

12790017_10153437921742654_150824747_o.jpg

I have 2 of the vision cages (I can join them to make one big cage like yours -- as I said before you got a fantastic bargain there Sarah -those cages are not cheap ones!  it looks good -Did you get the stand as well?

Off to take Bimbo (cockatiel) for his monthly meeting with the vet to get his beak trimmed and then Bimbo gets to go shopping with me before I go home-- (I wont leave him in the car on his own and he enjoys going round the supermarket -but in his carry cage :rolleyes::yahoo:

Emmy

yeah :) the stand is wobbly though. personally i dont like the vision cages, i dont think they are secure enough....and break easily with the plastic bottom :( will be trying to find them a new cage soon hopefully :)

i wish i could take my lexi to the shops......but the area i live in she would probably get stolen :P 

20 hours ago, Emmy said:

Tiko is determined to get 'built up' so he can stand up to her bullying him so he thought he would begin with some 'Irn Bru' (:)

Brilliant:lol:, Hope they sort it out soon so we can see some chicks:)

Bimbo going shopping in Lidls after his visit to the vet to get his beak trimmed.
He's thinking, "Will I have Irn Bru or Crisps?" (lol)

56ddd83992d4c_7thMarch2016Bimbogoingshop

Both Please Mum:lol: Cheese and Onion Crisps:D

Don't forget the chocolate!!

• Like 1

He finished up getting me to buy celery, mangoes, courgettes, cucumber, pineapple and a water melon--:lol: (not joking here that was just for the birds/parrots!!) A real healthy  diet for them.

My list was slightly different:  a few nice pastries, a selection of ice-creams etc etc;).  you will just have to guess what the etc etc were:D

Emmy

7 hours ago, SarahR said:

i wish i could take my lexi to the shops......but the area i live in she would probably get stolen :P 

The main reason I take Bimbo into the store with me is because I wont leave him in the car on his own -- it could become too hot or too cold in the car in a very short period of time.  The other reason is -when I was already at the shopping centre, it was silly to drive all the way home with him and then have to drive all the way back again to do the shopping  so I asked at the store if it would be OK to bring Bimbo in with me and it was no problem because he was in his carry cage.

(Bimbo has to go to the vet once a month to get his beak trimmed and after he has been to the vet that is the only time he gets to go shopping with me :D)--good job too he spends too much money!!;)

Emmy

haha :P i dont think lexi would happily sit in a carry cage.......shes had her wings clipped now too :( ready for the shows with the rescue, she can still fly to my bed though :P 

i need to find something that will help speed up her feather growth.....she just keeps pulling them out! :( a feather grows and she yanks it out....even with all of her toys....and out time....her toys get changed around or changed over weekly or monthly.............but she doesnt bother with her toys!! just sits there.....lol

On 3/7/2016 at 20:16, Emmy said:

He finished up getting me to buy celery, mangoes, courgettes, cucumber, pineapple and a water melon--:lol: (not joking here that was just for the birds/parrots!!) A real healthy  diet for them.

My list was slightly different:  a few nice pastries, a selection of ice-creams etc etc;).  you will just have to guess what the etc etc were:D

Emmy

Well thats quite a contrast, I'm going for the pastries :lol:, My shopping trolley usually ends up full of cucumber, cress, oranges, apples, and just for a treat broccoli, and mustn't forget the tray of eggs.

• Like 1