Sign in to follow this  
redkite

Hello From South Ayrshire

I have just started to breed finches. I have an avery in my porch at the back of house. The temp has gone down to 5 deg c in the frost but just now its 17 deg c. I have a nest of zebra finches on two eggs and two chicks hatched yesterday and two today. Being not the ideal time of year for a nest. I was conserned if the hen would feed at night. Up to now I have had no light on. I have a strip light in the porch and a hand lamp in the avery roof. I have also got a infra red heat builb that could be put in the hand lamp. What do you recommend time for light? I am thinking that the hen is not feeding the chicks as she leaves the nest for some of the daytime and the male just wants to sit on the young.

Welcome to the forum 'Redkite'

Good!! another person from Scotland :D :D

Not sure about the correct information to give you re the heat and light. but I'm sure others will give you the correct advice.

I have my finches in my utility room in an inside aviary but as there is a radiator there so keeping the room warm isnt a problem. but I do keep a light on from about 5.30pm until about 9.30pm and before I put all the lights off at night I make sure they are all roosting (I never leave them suddenly in the dark)

There's the 125th Anniversary bird show held in Fife in the Milton of Balgonie is on Sunday 4th November 1pm be worth going to if you can manage.

Emmy

I would give them some extra light at least 18 hours a day, the chicks need fed regular and often 6pm to 7 am is to long without food for a newly hatched chick in but this is only my opinion ;)

Allan

Thank for all the responce its good to know that there is someone that I can ask for advise when I need it. I will put the light on untill about 10pm like you said. A bit of bad news this morning one of the chick fell out of the nest. The hen is a bit inexperienced and seems to have lost interest in the nest and only sits on at night. I have another three birds in the avery two male pied choc bangalese and one white female bangalese that have paired up and is sitting on 8 eggs, I know 8 eggs. The three of them sitt on the eggs at night and take turns during the daytime. They are strange little birds to watch compaired to the zebra finches. I think the female has laid 4 eggs for each male. Do you think if they hatch I should remove some of the eggs or will they cope with them all. The zebras are last years brood and the bangalese this years birds. I got them from the Carlise sale. I missed a bird show at Irvine last weekend. I live by myself and sometime donot keep to well. So I could not attend.