Punky

Crested X Fawn, Unfertile Eggs

That's good news

So pleased to learn that all 6 eggs have hatched out.

Emmy

Well done! Thats excellant that all 6 hatched. I cant wait to see what they look like once they have feathers

Kerry

They didn't have some for the moment. I just put the closed ring on the two elder chicks today, it has been difficult ! They have big feet.

The 6 chicks yesterday dsc0897nh.jpg The chick I ringed yesterdaydsc0909ot.jpg

It brother/sister today(very similar to the first one): dsc0922z.jpg
The chick I ringed today (there's another one but very similar) dsc0915mx.jpg

They're just gorgeous. Glad you managed to get the closed rings on. I've still to achieve that. I have had to put split rings on mine because the chicks were too big, couldn't get the closed rings on.

Thank you for posting the photographs.

Emmy

I put closed rings when they are 7 days old, but I agree, for the biggest ones it was quite difficult. Were your chicks too big for their age or you just missed the day you should put the rings on ?

I think I left it too late to use the closed rings. If I'm honest the reason for the delay was me building up the courage to have a go at doing that. .New chicks will be having closed rings!! Definately no backing out this time. :D 

Emmy

What diameter of closed ring do you use ? I have mine in 2,7mm

To be honest I dont know I ordered them from the Zebra Finch Society UK

Emmy

News from the day: On the 4 elder, 3 are crested, 1 crested normal(hen)  and 2 crested fawn. The bigger one is a normal/fawn cock. The two smaller chicks are too small to see what colour they are, but they are lighter than the others. Maybe pied, white or saddlebacks (in crested or not)

I'll post pictures during this week.

Thats a good ratio of crested! I really cant wait for pictures. Are any of them black breast can you tell?

Kerry

No Kerry, there's no black breast in this clutch. I think that the cock is split black breast, but I doubt from the hen to be /black breast too. I have 5 crested on 6 chicks !

From the elder to the younger: 1(certainely cock)  normal/fawn,pied or white; 1 normal crested (hen)/pied or white; 2 crested fawns; 1 crested white and 1 crested pied or Saddleback.

Wow thats brilliant! Such a mix of colours in one nest too. Please, please, please post LOTS of pictures :D

Kerry

P.s. Please! :lol:  :lol:

Oh they are beautiful :wub:  Thank you so much for sharing these! The fawn crested is my favourite :biggrin:

I have been looking for some crested birds for a long time but there are none close to where i live. They are definately one of my favourites.

Kerry

Those chicks are looking good -I'm surprised at their size much larger than I expected them to be.

They look cute with their little tufts on their head. A great outcome in getting so many crested chicks.

Thanks for posting those photographs they're lovely.

Emmy

Never heard of double crest on zebra finch. I've also heard of "frisé de nuque" (in french, litteraly traduction: "curly neck") on society finches. Have you a photo of a double crest zebra ?