norfolk flyer

First Young Of The New Season

All,

Thought i'd share with you a photo of my first young of 2013, after a late start to my breeding well pleased. :db:

Parents are BFBC / CFW x BCCFW

Didn't realise until i looked on screen but in the bottom left hand corner a chick is actually coming out of the egg.

Hope you enjoy (i did) ;)

Trevor :)

It's there now, had a senior moment :ph34r:

They're lovely Trevor,

Have a close look at the bottom chick - I was beginning to think you had found a way to put a ring on its leg while it was still in the shell :rofl:

"It's there now, had a senior moment :ph34r: " :   We may have been thinking that but  dont forget its YOU that said it :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Emmy

ps Is that hay you have given them to make their nest?

Emmy,

Yeah it is, i make the nest and they then just adjust it to how they like, i don't add anymore extra once i've done with the nest building.

That's how i've always done it since i've cage bred.

Ps, aren't your hatched with rings on already, well that's strange. White for 2013.

Now here's an idea. Wonder if it would work :unsure:

What if the closed rings were fed to the hen before she started to lay the eggs ?? :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

If someone could work how to do this they would make a fortune!! :rolleyes:

Now if they hatched out already ringed that would be much easier for me -I have bought the closed rings but I just couldnt get them on the chicks - maybe left it a bit too late.

Emmy (lol)

Hi trev,

Looks a good start mate i would have a guess and say 3 females and 1 male, let me know mate :-) prize for the winner ;-).

Chris

Emmy/Chris,

Ladies first, glad when your snow is gone so you can get outside for some fresh air, i think being indoors all this while is now starting to have an effect on you. :help:

Chris,

Ok i'll keep you informed, but there is one more egg if that hatches what will that be ?

Hi Trevor,

Great Pic, will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Clare

I keep looking at that nest they made... I have never used hay before as i assumed i was too stiff to make a comfortable nest. But looking at that, i think i may try and pick some up this weekend and give it a go.

Kerry

When I put the last 2 pairs into the Onrinex cages  I gave them some hay as nesting material along with some moss and (? bought it at the birds sale) looks like animal hair,and they went for the hay. The same thing happened today I changed the nest box  in the cage where the chicks are just fledging (it was really dirty and felt damp) I put some hay into the nest box and left some of the other 3 nesting materials I had used previously just to see what they would go for --the hay won so i've removed the extra nesting materials (dont want them breeding again too soon.)

I'm using plastic nest boxes now- could this be why inside the nest felt damp?

Emmy

I will definately pick some up then.

I use wicker nests and they usually stay relatively dry. However, the nest i had to change the other day was disgusting. It was soaked through completely and the chicks still look like they fell in a pile of poop! I think its more to do with the birds using them to be honest. But then i have never used a plastic nest so i cant really say.

Kerry

Thanks Kerry

I've always used the wicker nests before but there is a lot more room in these nest boxes I bought and they can be fixed either inside or outside of the cage.

Emmy

oh that has made me broody...I love watching the little ones grow up. not going to get far with my 2 though if the white is a male not a female!