Andyn

Flegling Showing Faint Cheek Patch

I have what should be 4 CFW hen chicks  (parents CFW cock and normal hen) and I have noticed that one has a faint cheek patch.

It is possible that an odd egg was fostered accross which could be a CFW cock. (I say 'could be' because I don't have any background information on the cock bird parent but understand that the breeder does have CFWs)

What I'm trying to find out is- Does the faint cheek patch set the chick out to be a cock CFW or do CFW hens also show these patches.

I have only bred one CFW hen pior to these chicks and never noticed any patch.

Would appreciate any guidance please.

Hi Andy,

Can only go by what I have but one of my CFW  hens seems to have cheeck patches, its hard to describe but her head is darker never turned white totaly so gives the impression of white cheeck patches as that area is totally white, against the darker head colour.

Not to good on this but hope it helps. :)

Clare

Hi Andy,

Can only go by what I have but one of my CFW  hens seems to have cheeck patches, its hard to describe but her head is darker never turned white totaly so gives the impression of white cheeck patches as that area is totally white, against the darker head colour.

Not to good on this but hope it helps. :)

Clare

Most of mine are like that. They have darker heads and necks with what looks like white cheek patches. They usually moult them out over time though.

Kerry

Thanks all,

There are two that have darker (greyish) heads and looking closely I see a faint patch on the other one. I was getting quite excited in case it was a cock bird.

Andy do you have any pictures as could be easyiet too see it and give an answer.

Dan

Dan,

I don't think my camera would pick up the patch in a photo- the elastic band isn't strong enough. (old joke) But I might give it a try and see.

Cheers

Andy

Normal Grey is dominant to CFW. Males have two genes. Females have one gene.

The cock is obviously double factor CFW, because he displays CFW. The hen is obviously NG, because she displays NG.

All hens get their factor from their father. In this instance, it's obviously CFW.

All cocks get one factor from their father and one factor from their mother. Therefore, all the young cocks will be NG/CFW. They will display CFW.

Therefore, your young bird is a CFW hen.

The white cheek patches are common to both males and females, when they are very young. This clarity will disappear over time. There are two types of CFW. CCFW and CFW. (Continental Chestnut Flanked White & Chestnut Flanked White). I have CFWs. I have three pairs that show the nice white cheeks and another couple pairs in which the white cheeks don't appear nearly as nicely.

Thanks for that Jeff,

Sex linking in Zebies is the same as in Budgies so I can relate to CFW with being = to Lutino or Albino in Budgies.

I just didn't expect to see any kind of cheek patch on a hen chick. (I know BC shows up easy)

There was an odd egg I fostered from a pair which was a Normal Cock and there was a possibility he was split CFW.

This is my first year with Exhibition Zebies so I'm learning all the time.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

In zebra finches the hen carry's a male and female sex chromosome, so you can get some signs of male markings even up to some hens being practically half male.

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

I've had another nest fledge and some of them are CFW hens with quite distinctive patches. But it does seem to be on the darker marked birds I notice.

Andy