Emmy

White Chick With No Markings?

I have a chick just fledged it is  pure white no tear marks and no markings on its tail.

Is this what you would say to be a 'white'? Will try and get a photo later.

(Dad is a normal /mum cfw)

Emmy.

It could be a reccessive white or a 100% pied. Have you bred the parents before and have they ever produced any pied? I have heard that true reccessive whites are incredibly hard to come by these days. You could have a rare one!

Kerry

This is their first lot in fact it's their only chick. Two eggs hatched and I had given them a 'foster' egg from the pieds. 

The other chick is pied lke its parents.

I'll try to get a photo posted ASAP

Emmy

Thanks Dan but this time when all the chicks  have fledged they have all looked like they could do with a good wash. Pity we cant put DAZ and stain remover in their bath water :rofl:

(Just wonder if this is because I'm using plastic nest boxes this time instead of the wicker nest baskets?)

Emmy

Emmy,

Nice chick I reckon it's a pure white = white pied, the parents must have pied in them.

My mate breeds pieds and he's had a couple of these out this season.

Trevor :) 

Hi Trevor, just curious here... Does the reccessive white chick have a different coloured beak?

Thanks

Kerry

I used to have a white cock years ago that i bought from a pet shop. He was so clean and had a brilliant red beak, he was absolutely stunning! I paired him with a pied hen and every chick they produced was pied too.

Kerry

The only link those two parents have with pied is the foster egg from the pieds that they hatched out :D

but I guess somewhere along the line the pied gene must be lurking.

How can tell  if its a female or male?

Since its a pied should I pair it up with another pied later on?

Emmy

I found the lovely little white chick dead on the bottom of the cage this morning. There didnt seem to be any reason for this to happen it was quite healthy.

So sad when this happens.

Emmy

Thats really sad, it was very cute :(

I've only just read this and did not expect that.

silly me didn't read that bit bowt it dying such a shame you never no you mite get another one

Hope so Richard

The parents of that chick are good at rearing chicks and fostered an egg from a pied pair as well.  

The white chick came from  the only fertile egg they laid so I was glad that the fostered egg hatched out too.

Later on I will let that pair breed again.

Emmy