Sign in to follow this  
Keiron Kent

Silver What?

Hi guys

My son Cameron has managed to breed this..im not sure what mutation or sex it is

Parents are silver cock x normal hen

post-273-0-04419800-1370971867_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have only ever bred a handfull of silvers and they were all cocks, I have bred a few creams and like silvers I think one problem is the uneven colour. If the normal is buffy the colour may be more patchy, Good coloured fawns usually breed even coloured creams. Some hens, fawn, normal and dilutes have a ghost of a cheek patch which is classed as a show fault.

Regards,

Nick

Hi Keiron,

How old is your silver, I have a few and they do seem to take a while to show their true colour.

Have attached a pic of my silver cock as he has white cheek patches and these were the first thing to show through, when he started to colour up.

th_new12042013016_zpsc724d211.jpg

If a cock could turn out like this, if a hen I would presume something like this without the flank & breast markings.

Nice looking zeb though

Clare

Hi Clare

The youngster is around 4 months old and yeah seems to be taking ages to show her true colour. As i breed mostly cfw they tend to colour up a lot faster than the silver mutation.

Cameron has managed to breed a silver cock bird to go with this hen so hopefully they will make the show bench.

Hi Clare

The youngster is around 4 months old and yeah seems to be taking ages to show her true colour. As i breed mostly cfw they tend to colour up a lot faster than the silver mutation.

Cameron has managed to breed a silver cock bird to go with this hen so hopefully they will make the show bench.

Hi Keiron,

Wish you all the best and hope they make the show bench.

I have a silver Hen comming through at the moment, and she is also showing cheek patches, 3 months old and only just moulting into adult colours.

So I now have 4 silver Cocks & 3 Silver hens, plus my BC silver hen has chicks so looking forward to see what that brings.

Clive,

Need to ask why do you say Lightback silver?

Clare

Hi Clare, when I first viewed the picture I noted that the tear mark was a little dark, and also that there were a few dark ripples on the tail bars, but looking at the picture again in its larger size then no I think it may just be a normal silver, as if it was Silver Lightback then the Silver colour would be a little more consistant and even, so my mistake, I have breed many Silvers over the years in both Lightback and Dominant a great mutation to keep and breed...