hammermitch

Newbie From Essex

Hi,

As you can gather by the post, i am just starting out, currently converting a brand new shed into a bird house.

I have had a good look around the forum and gained lots of ideas and information, well done everyone on a great and informative forum.

However any help or info for a newbie would be appreciated, such as would i need any heating or lighting in the shed in the winter months? and is it still ok to breed in the winter months or is it best to wait for warmer weather?

i have big plans such as building an outdoor flight are on to the shed, but it this all takes time and is for the future.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for your comments.

You've come to the right place for information, you'll also find everyone willing to help, please don't hesitate to ask as much as you like.

Zebra Finches will live quite happily without heat, but if you're intending to breed during the winter months, heat will be necessary.

If you're just starting with a new shed I would consider lighting as well, have a look at Sunrise Aviculture for automatic light control units.

There are a number of useful posts on both subjects, but here a few you might fine interesting:-

Lighting

Heat in the bird room

Hope this gives you a start.

Gary.

Hi Mitch welcome to the forum.

Like you I have bought a new shed for an inside flight. This has been insulated and then covered with plywood. The outside flight is attached to the shed but both inside and outside flights are  not finished yet, but inside the shed etc will all be painted white. I'm still not sure about connecting an electricity  supply but will have to make up my mind soon.

Do you have any photos of your inside flight?

Emmy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As Gary said if your planning on breeding then yes you will need heat, I know people use a little bit off heat to keep the chill out and stop water from freezing.

As for lighting I use a normal flourescent tube (daylight) and a ip55 flourescent holder, I have 2 off these and are really bright and powerfull.

If you are on a tight budget.

Any questions just ask away

Dan

Hi Mitch and welcome to the forum.

It's nice to see someone else from Essex on here, there's not many of us :D

Kerry

Thanks for the replies

@Zebraman, thanks for that, got some handy advice for the lighting, as for the heating it is saying i cant view as not made enough posts, so better get posting.

great to see some fellow Essex members, @casamber, Same town

Mitch