Sign in to follow this  
Faracat

Surprise Grey Pied.

I must apologise that the photos are not the best, he doesn't believe in sitting still for his photo and my photography skills seem to be lacking! ;)

What do you think of this chap? His dad was a grey normal and mum was a CFW. 

As with his brother (shown in the last photo) I'm thinking of buying a hen in for him, as I don't have any spares at the moment. I guess he might carry the BC gene? I was thinking of pairing him with a pied hen, unless you have any better suggestions?

3c74fd79-d37a-42f0-adaf-92c76c5ad219_zps

4a71db47-e0b6-4145-a5cf-510214817c57_zps

c84f4b01-d9b2-4305-8cdb-ff5af30bc33b_zps

On the right.

f9f6c28e-dc55-4c81-b62f-0167787a458c_zps

Lovely birds but surpised with colours from pairings you described. Do you have pics of parents?

Scott

The hen sadly died. She was white with small 'tears' more grey than black in colour. I still have the male, he's a bog standard grey normal to look at - I really like him though. :) I can take a photo of him tomorrow if you like. The third chick in that brood was a BC hen and I can also try to photograph her. I have some other grown up chicks from that pairing and they are all male grey normals. 

Hi Faracat

No need to try to take that photo for my benefit. I am by no means an expert on colours. Merely fascinated and trying to understand the genetics involved. :-)

Hi!,

Both parents had to carry the Pied gene as it is a recessive gene.

If you can't get a Pied hen you could try a hen that is carrying Pied. Only some chicks could turn out Pied and you would get other colours too, but all would be carriers of Pied.

Andy

(Pied lover)