Sign in to follow this  
zebba 'D'

Cfw Males

hi all, i have 2 exhibition male finchs both of a very good size the only thing i can tell is that the one males marking are very dark orange and the others are of i lighter orange. Can any tell me why this is. Also what colour do they look for on the bench the lighter colour os darker.Cheers chris

hi all, i have 2 exhibition male finchs both of a very good size the only thing i can tell is that the one males marking are very dark orange and the others are of i lighter orange. Can any tell me why this is. Also what colour do they look for on the bench the lighter colour os darker.Cheers chris
Hi Chris,just had a look at your gallery,and you've got some very decent birds there,even for rare varieties...but I'm not a judge,so don't take my word for it!But I do like them.As for the question of what to pair your BBOB cock to,if you have good BBsplits,that's what I'd pair them to...it'll give BB/OB of both sexes;I have read that OBhens are rather rare,for some reason,and many OB breeders,certainly according to Garrie Landry(USA),do all their OB breeding that way.As for your question about the depth of colouration of your males,I would imagine that the deeper colouration is the most preferable,in exhibition terms,but I've never shown any birds before,so you'd best read the Standards on ZFS site,or speak to one of the guys that regularly do well with their Normals,such as Dave Huntington,but there are definitely others on this forum,I just don't know them because I don't show and am new myself!Just make sure though,that it's not a LightBack!They are paler orange markings.This forum is crammed with knowledgeable people,that are very willing to give advice...I've learned lots,simply by reading the e-mails!Peter.

hi chris regards chestnut flank whitesyou want birds with as dark a markings as possible and these are the birds that should do well on the showbench,not easy getting good colour and size into the bird but i guess thats the challenge.the colours range from very light birds to dark and you see a difference even in nestmates but by using the best coloured ones you can improve the colour, however in my experience poor colourd cfw never produce good coloured offspringnormal/cfw are very usefull in putting colour into a line however and i have used these with sucssessregards Dave

hi dave, Cheers for that mate. I have a very dark orange male, i had him from a friend of mine. His parents were both cfw but one may be split for black cheek. He breed about 12 off the one pair. I had the male from him, but he also had cfw/bc from the same pair. Would this mean the male i have could have cfw/bc off spring.Also mate what do you mean when cfw/normal are good to have to put a good line into to birds.Cheers chris

hi chrisby normal/cfw i mean a normal cock split for cfwregards the black cheeks i have no experience with these or any of the non standard colours but am sure someone on here will advise you of expectationsgood luck with them mate

The combination of CFW with fawn requires a genetic phenomenon known as crossing over to occur before CFW and Fawn can be combined. Crossing over is a random occurrence so one cannot predict when, if ever, the combination will occur. Fawn-CFWs look similar to gray series CFWs, but all the black markings will be dark brown instead. Once combined the two mutations are linked and will act as one.Paul.