DAN

My New Hobby

Hello everybody,

well I have decided it would be nice to have an interest in my old age ( approaching 70 ),I already had a fish pond which I built several years ago but that didn't really keep me occupied enough  was looking for something not to strenuous, after looking on the internet I started to become interested in bird keeping I found that you tube had lots of videos on finch keeping.

So that is the path that I have chose,after gathering as much information as I could I found that zebra finches was the best for a beginner like me.The first thing was to have outdoor aviary built and the best place for it was on my 4ft x 8ft patio,I decided that a 4ft x 4ft birdhouse with a 4ft x 4ft flight.

I contacted the sign of the owl here in Ivybridge Devon and after agreeing a price I asked them to built it for me,I was fortunate to find a breeder quite local who sold me 8 hens and 2 cocks.

They have been in the aviary for a week now and nest building like mad.

A total beginner as much advice  would be very much appreciated.post-2461-0-77782800-1374526436.jpg

HI, although I am based in Plymouth, my birds are based at IVYBRIDGE. You would be more than welcome to visit at any time. Did you know there is a very good ZFS Area Society based in Plymouth.

May I suggest you try the ZFS Website.     www.thezebrafinchsociety.co.uk

Peter

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum you'll get lots of advice from the members here. They are a wealth of information for us 'oldies'

I know you will get a lot of pleasure just sitting watching those lovely little birds. I've  just started getting my aviary built but I already have all the birds to put in it-- talk about 'putting the cart before the horse' guess I have to put  that mistakes down to 'old age' :D

Emmy

HI, although I am based in Plymouth, my birds are based at IVYBRIDGE. You would be more than welcome to visit at any time. Did you know there is a very good ZFS Area Society based in Plymouth.

May I suggest you try the ZFS Website.     www.thezebrafinchsociety.co.uk

Peter

Many thanks Peter for your invite, yes I have seen the website and thinking of joining lots of useful advice on there would love to visit and perhaps you could look at my setup and tell me where I am going wrong ha ha .

Welcome to the forum you'll get lots of advice from the members here. They are a wealth of information for us 'oldies'

I know you will get a lot of pleasure just sitting watching those lovely little birds. I've  just started getting my aviary built but I already have all the birds to put in it-- talk about 'putting the cart before the horse' guess I have to put  that mistakes down to 'old age' :D

Emmy

Well Emmy sometimes its okay to do things ar....se about front haha  thanks for your welcome

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of the Zebra Finch.

I'm sure you will find more than enough to answer all the questions you may have, but if not, please don't hesitate to ask and I'm sure one of our members will answer any queries you may have.

You'll also find a great bunch of people on here.

Good luck with your birds.

Gary.

hi devonfinch keeper,i think a 4ft bird shed is going to be a bit small when you get a few birds.it is always better to have it a bit bigger gives you more room to move about.baz

hi devonfinch keeper,i think a 4ft bird shed is going to be a bit small when you get a few birds.it is always better to have it a bit bigger gives you more room to move about.baz

thanks for the advice baz,think I am finding that out now but I do have room to extend if I need to,my brother in law is a chippy hopefully he will help.What size would you recommend.

Hi, Devonfinch keeper.

I tried to PM you the other day but got a message to say that the facility was not available.

Firstly- Go see Peter's birds they are amazing and you will find out loads of things to try and do.

Secondly- You would be welcome to come up to Exeter and see my set-up. I'm first year with Zebies but been keeping other types for over 17 years.

Mainly- Enjoy the forum and it's super people.

Andy

Hi, Devonfinch keeper.

I tried to PM you the other day but got a message to say that the facility was not available.

Firstly- Go see Peter's birds they are amazing and you will find out loads of things to try and do.

Secondly- You would be welcome to come up to Exeter and see my set-up. I'm first year with Zebies but been keeping other types for over 17 years.

Mainly- Enjoy the forum and it's super people.

Andy

Hi Andy

yes I would love to visit Peter perhaps you could give me your post code would love to visit

cheers Andy

speedwaybaz, on 23 Jul 2013 - 2:00 PM, said:snapback.png

thanks for the advice baz,think I am finding that out now but I do have room to extend if I need to,my brother in law is a chippy hopefully he will help.What size would you recommend

what ever size you have it is never going to be big enough i started with a 10 x 6  then exstended to 10 x 9 and earlier this year i built another one :) and would like a 3rd one :D

steve

hello and welcome, i hope you find everything you need on here, and peter is a top guy, had a great chat at stafford, most probs have another at october one.

dan