norfolk flyer

2013 Blackface Grey

All,

Checking my aviary and spotted this chap, he's a youngster still in his moult.

The pleasing thing is how black he's gonna be, although the photo has toned him down he is a very dark bird all over,

Really black around the lores against the beak,

You can just make out that there is more black to come on his breast.

If you look closely, right at the top of his leg you can also see black feathering,

He's aviary bred, one for 2014 breeding list I think,

Thanks for looking,

Trevor :)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x343/trm03/IMG_2295.jpg

Hi Trevor, Nice bird. He is going to look goood when he is through the moult. should have black all the way down to his legs.Please post another photo when he is fully moulted.  ClarkC

Nice BF Trevor. I have never seen one so dark before, I would expect him to have some BB and BC in there? Im sure I see some black in the cheek patch and above the eye. All of my BF have orange feathers on there legs, I have never seen one with black there before. I am very jealous lol  :biggrin:

Kerry

All,

Here's another couple of photo's nearly 3 weeks further down the line of my BF Normal,

Front shot is just a general view, but the other shot (I now his head fell off :biggrin: ) is to show you all how dark he is and you can compare him to the Normal grey on the photo,

The flash is still lightening him up a bit, but he's the darkest zeb I've had by far,

He's darker than both of my male triple blacks,

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x343/trm03/IMG_7753.jpg

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x343/trm03/IMG_7751.jpg

Hi Trevor,

He's fantastic, you must be pleased.

Good luck with breeding him next year :D

Clare

Hi Trev

Thanks for posting these pics

I've managed to breed an exhibiton standard BF normal hen. She's still young yet but great looking bird. I thinking of entering her in the AOSV single hen class.

If I do ill let you know how she gets on

Keiron

Lovely bird Trevor,

What happened to 'Blackie' (the one in the painting) do you still have it?

Emmy

Hi Trev,
sorry mate but looks like a melanistic normal grey to me, not bf. It could be also a melanistic bf, but in such a case it would be a poor example of bf since the belly should be black, not white. I think I see some little white feathers in the face (but I can't understand if it is white feathers or dust) if it be so, it's definitely not bf. Flanks completely devoid of spots is also sign of melanism. Such melanistic birds usually turn "normal" within a moult or two.

ciao
Dimitri

Dimitri,

No need to be sorry, I take on board what you've said and I find it interesting,

I'll keep an eye on him and we'll see what happens,

He's not cage bred so I don't know the parents, if he was cage bred and neither parent is BF then I know that melanism is the cause,

Thanks again for your comment,

Hi Trev

I think I would have to agree with Dimitri as the bird looks very dark all over even on its back, flanks and cheeks, you do get BF who are white on the belly but its not a desired trait.

Paul.

Paul,

In the aviary I have two more BF's a fawn and normal types, both have white underparts.

The normal is no where near as dark as the one we're speaking about.

Dave,

The BF in question is as black as ever no difference poss bit more black underneath,

So we'll just have to wait and see,

Thanks,

Hi

That's the thing with Blackfaced birds there has been many a melanistic normal bought from somewhere by someone thinking its a Blackface only for it to moult into a standard normal. Trev you will soon know for sure when he has a good moult.

Here's a couple of Black faces from a few year ago, you can see what I mean about the black on the underside of the chest im not sure now if BB some how restricts this.

Blackfacepaulm.jpgbf2011cocka.jpg110301_165856.jpgblackfacehen2011a-1-1.jpg