Nick Hall

Youngsters 2013 {2]

Hi Mark,

Mostly cfw and light-backs so far but there are a few Normals in a couple of nests about 6-8 days old.

Regards,

Nick.

Nick those photographs are stunning When I look at my CFW - compared to the ones in the photos you would think my one had been washed in domestos (very pale colours) . I love the set  up / cages etc you have for the birds fantastic. What size is your bird room? those cages look great too. are they sold separately then built up in a frame?

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

The shed is 14x8 and very cosy at the moment lol.

The wire cages are from supapets, they are usefull for weaning chicks and the 8 cages have around 50 young birds in them which shortly will be moved on to single cages in pairs. The wire cages and stands all dismantle for storage after the breeding season.

Nick

Thanks Nick

Wished I could just 'beam up', your shed to my garden just what I need. Are those Orinex cages you have there as well? I've found with my orinex cages it was difficult  getting any of the  nest baskets I had  to  fix on the outside of the cage without dismantling the door  but I got some the other day 'wire ones with a nest pan' that fix on without doing any alterations but I think I'll need to put a cover  on 3 sides. (Supapets too) 

Emmy

Looks like there will be some healthy competition in the novice cfw section this year.!!

Stunning birds mate. Youve seem to have bred some good colour into them this year.

Cant wait to see them on the bench

Keiron

Hi Nick

Very nice, but i'm not surpised as you have great depth of quality in your stud and a very good eye.

Congratz.

Paul.

Hi Nick,

Love the set up, and the fantastic CFW, you have

Have only just started ön building a set up like that.

Hope you have a good year with them.

Clare

• Like 1

Hi Emmy,

Yes I am a big fan of the Quiko cage (Orniex). Take care on hanging nest boxes on the outside front of the cage, a wooden nest box with nesting material and chicks and parents can be heavy and the fronts sometimes can come away. For the feeder pairs (Bengies) I use a plastic nest box, fixed to the back wall, inside the cage, they seem happier with this set up and at about 10 days I take off the lid of the plastic box and put the box on the cage floor, I find this helps keep the nest cooler and the feeders can sit on the back and sides of the nest box to feed the young with non being left out. With the nest box entrance facing you it is also easier to keep an eye on its contents with minimum disturbance.

For the Zebras, I use the light-weight cardboard boxes, fastened on the outside via a metal hook and a peg to stop any movement.

Regards,

Nick

http://s21.postimg.org/wm28kjedz/IMG_0790_Copy.jpg

Nick the bottom two cages have the wire nest baskets with the nest pan in them but I'm not too sure about them being ok when eggs hatch out unless I cover the wire- perhaps could be too easy for chicks to fall out.

Never seen the cardboard nest boxes locally are they available online or do you make them yourself?.

I must admit I'm not too keen on the nest pans that fix on the back of the Orniex cages but the birds seem to like them :D I like it where it makes it easier for me to get access to the nest  when I have to.

I like the feeders you have on the outside of your cages too.(green coloured?) Looks like you can top them up from outside I have a couple similar  but much smaller and no lid on the top Didnt see the ones you have in Supapets or I would have ordered some.

Many thanks for that advice Nick much appreciated.

Emmy

nick, in pic 4 u have things hanging from the roof just out off curiosity what are they, and where do you get cardboard nest boxes from and are they any good.

dan 

nick, in pic 4 u have things hanging from the roof just out off curiosity what are they, and where do you get cardboard nest boxes from and are they any good.

dan 

Hi Dan,

They will be cobwebs mate.

No, they are what is known as salad racks! I used to keep old variety canaries and put the nesting fibre in them.

I sometimes use them on the Zebs.

Nick.

Nick,

Brilliant set up and birds to match, that's deffinately premier league,

Thanks for letting us in 10/10

All the best with forthcoming shows,

Trevor :)

• Like 1

cheers for the reply nick i just wondered what they where. thanks again thought it was like secret/ certain accessories you used for your birds.

how long have you been breeding and showing for nick

dan

Hi Dan,

It was my Daughter, Lauren who started with the Zebs in 2005/6, she started showing in 2007 and at that time I disposed of my crested canaries and we just had the zebs. She has horses and approaching 16 years old she was less interested so the last two years its been just me.

I always liked typey bold birds, Crest canaries, Norwich, Good Glosters lol (pm) Norwich canaries and Bullfinches, so the exhibition zeb is very appealing. I also found the zebra finch fancy very accomodating ever since Lauren set up and current.

Regards,

Nick.

PS There are no secrets mate, just patience and dedication.

cheers mate just wondered how long it took to est\blish your setup, how many pairs did your daughter start out with?? and how long did it take to establ;ish a good bloodline amongst your birds??

sorry about all the questions..

dan 

Hi Dan,

Lauren was lucky to buy some birds from Peter Harrison, she started with 4 pairs and added a few more from Peter over a number of years. So really she had a good start. Recently I have swapped, borrowed or bought birds from a number of fanciers to create other lines last year a cfw cock from Kerry & Wayne Davies has produced some useful birds this time, a cfw hen from Peter Hook a few years back also was usefull.

Lauren had a good fawn line about 4/5 years ago winning Best Fawns at the club show in 2008 (62 pairs benched) but we have struggled to continue this. The chestnuts came on strong in 2009 where Lauren won BIS at the East Anglian ZFS show, these were bred from her original light-back line which produced birds which won best light-backs at the ZFS club show in 2009, The light-back cocks were all split for cfw and threw some nice birds in both colours. It was a 2008 bred light-back cock and a young hen which won again at the club show in 2011 nearly going all the way for BIS but picking up best light-backs on the way. Last year was my first year on my own as such so I had to pick the pairings etc. Our stud has always been very close so some times we keep a bird we may not use that particular year but hope we may find something to take in to pair it too the following year. Luckily this year I had a number of pairs which I had shown last year I could breed together, The chestnuts which won BIS at the S&NCZFS were not related so along with a light-back cock which is a 2008 bird and 3 other birds they  have produced over 40 youngsters this year!!  Hopefully I can make some better pairings with these birds and breed some even better birds next round.

I have some Bengalese fosters so the better birds will only rear maybe 1 or 2 rounds on there own. It may sound rather like a factory but it is not, its just the way I try to maximise the youngsters while I have good birds in my shed.

You did ask, lol..

Nick

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, nick nice too see your so open and talk freely about it, do you only use bengies as foster parents then, do you let them raise there own young too use as new foster birds.

You say they only do a few rounds on there own but how many clutches do you get from them before you decide too let them raise there own chicks.

Dan