Nick Hall

Youngsters 2013 {2]

I prefer to use fosters/feeders for the first few rounds, a lot of hens lay on the floor so I collect the eggs and set them under the feeders. Sometimes the first few rounds of zebs they can be too fit and not settle down so you may waste the first couple of rounds from the zebs anyway so I find by fostering the first half of the breeding season is constructive and by then the zebs are tuned in to being good parents most of the time anyway so will rear there own.

I dont find exhibition zebs bad parents, I just want more from them.

Nick

The Bengies are conditioned along with the zebs and paired a week or two before, I find with Bengalese as fosters, although they can be dirty birds, they will sit on anything to try hatch it, when I put the nest boxs in for them I place a few dummy canary eggs in and even if they are not laying themselves, most will start to incubate the eggs, even 2 cock birds.

Nick

Nick thanks for explaining in detail about the Bengalese being used to foster eggs from your exhibition birds. I had thought they were only used if some pair gave up incubating eggs and the Bengalese were kept just for that purpose. Do you ever allow the Bengalese raise their own chicks?

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

Nick thanks for explaining in detail about the Bengalese being used to foster eggs from your exhibition birds. I had thought they were only used if some pair gave up incubating eggs and the Bengalese were kept just for that purpose. Do you ever allow the Bengalese raise their own chicks?

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

Yes I have bred about 12 young bengalese to replace some of the older ones nextyear.

Regards,

Nick.

Nick can U use them to foster, with out them ever raising or doing anything them selfs, like say last years birds and you put them straight down with fostered, eggs will they sit and raise them or is it a trail and error like any other first time parents.

Dan

Yes would like to know if its worth getting a bengie pair just incase you need eggs incubating or chicks rearing.

Tina

Hi Tina,

There is no gaurantee with this but is probably worth it.

I have Bengies but so far have not used them to foster, but in the past in my outside aviary have seen them feeding begging chicks, of thier own accord.

The chicks have then worked out that they will feed them and have chased the bengies around to be fed, and of course they always obliged :crazy:

They are also nice birds to watch flitting around and are very acrobatic.

Clare

Nick can U use them to foster, with out them ever raising or doing anything them selfs, like say last years birds and you put them straight down with fostered, eggs will they sit and raise them or is it a trail and error like any other first time parents.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I try put an older bird with a younger bird and so far, they have been ok, if they are not in condition then they will not be interested so dont just go out and buy a pair of bengalese and expect them to incubate eggs and rear chicks. I have not had many problems with zebras rearing there young to be fair either its just if I want to run a cock with a number of hens, or try a hen with a few different cocks it can be an advantage.

Regards,

Nick

Go U condition them the same as the zebs, and I take it you remove there eggs and replace with dummy ones, I understand what you are saying about running a certain bird as it has better quilaties that you want and others from other bird, what do you do if the be goes don't take too feeding or do they feed anything and everything.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes I condition the Bengies the same, this year I have not had a single pair of Bengies not feed the youngsters, one pair fed 8 chicks till I had places to move them. I find if in the breeding room you have a number of pairs feeding zebs/bengies, it creates a stimulus and the chicks all seem to be fed better than years when things dont go so well and only a few clutches hatch. The noise of the chicks wanting to be fed, I think has a knock on effect?

Luckily with the number of feeders and 14 pairs of zebs, I can find somewhere to place eggs or chicks.

Regards,

Nick