I picked up this fawn hen from Stafford. The breeder I bought her from also had a few orange breasts there so I just assumed she was OB but now im not so sure. Someone suggested agate but I have never heard of it.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/whitecharmer/fawn/100_5323_zps5362fa86.jpg

What do you think?

Kerry

Kerry,

That certainly looks different. But I'm also seeing male spots on the flanks too. Or is it my eyes?

Andy

There are very strong male markings but im almost positive its a hen. She also has faint breast bars. Are we sure this isn't just an unusual zebra finch?

Kerry

80 I am not a fan of hybrids... Especially when they are sold to me as something else! I don't know whether to laugh or cry :rofl:  :cray: At least now I know... If it has a pink tail... Walk away! :fool:  :rofl:

Kerry

80 I am not a fan of hybrids... Especially when they are sold to me as something else! I don't know whether to laugh or cry :rofl:  :cray: At least now I know... If it has a pink tail... Walk away! :fool:  :rofl:

Kerry

Kerry,

Could you try washing the tail and see if the pink disappears just in case it is ink or some sort of dye.? But I can sympathise with your disappointment though.

Andy

She has had a bath in her cage since I got her home and I know she is using it but the pink is still there unchanged. I sent the pictures to Roy Beckham (efinch) and he agrees it is a hybrid too.

The disappointing part is that I bought all the birds to match for size and colour so now I have none to pair with my orange breast cock. I do have another orange breast hen I could use but she is pet shop type and I was hoping to start working with bigger birds.

The annoying part is that the breeder must have known what she is and chose not to tell me!

Kerry

Hi kerry,

Sorry to hear about your bird, it is a shame when breeders dont let on especially when you find something that is a little different to every think else.

May be a daft question but could it have been feed on colour feed like what they use for the canarys?

Chris.

Hi Chris, good question. I figure the only way to be sure about all of this is to keep an eye on her and see if the tail changes overtime. I now have her paired up with a proven male in the hopes that she will start laying. If the eggs are infertile then I will assume hybrid. If they are fertile and the tail changes then I will be very happy lol.

Kerry

Kerry,

The chap who sold that must have known, why don't people tell the truth,

I always give an honest answer when i'm selling at Newark and sometimes from being honest I lose a sale but that's the way it goes, I always try to treat buyers the way i'd like to be sold to,

Having said that it's a nice looking hen though,

I really hope you have some luck with her,

All the best,

Trevor :)

hi Kerry

sorry to hear about the bird but it does look like a diamond sparrow (firetailed) but sometimes hybrids can be fertile so maybe you might get chicks out of this hen so you will have to wait and see and then see what chicks pop out. its a shame when breeders sell you birds that is'nt a true breed

richard

Hi

It does appear too be a hybrid, May be as said above Diamond Sparrow x zebra.

Paul.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I cant decide whether to try and breed her or not. On the one hand I am curious to see if she is fertile, but on the other hand, what would I do with the offspring? I guess I could try and rehome them as pets but I see that being difficult. I have no problem with people that breed hybrids, if that's what you like then good luck to you, but its not for me. I like my zebras to be zebras ;)

I will keep her with the cock for now and see what happens. I can always throw the eggs if I decide to. Or keep them and see what weird birds crop up lol

:unknw:  :unknw:  :unknw:

Kerry

Kerry,

If she is fertile and you had paired her with a zeb, would the hybrid side still continue or does it only come out at the original pairing ?

I would have thought that it would only appear at the original source, (bet i'm wrong)

If it was me I would pair her up and see, (just my opinion)

All the best Kerry,

Keep us posted if anything happens,

If she is fertile and you had paired her with a zeb, would the hybrid side still continue or does it only come out at the original pairing ?

I would have thought that it would only appear at the original source, (bet i'm wrong)

If it was me I would pair her up and see, (just my opinion)

i was thinking that trev but did not want to seem daft by asking that

steve

Hi Kerry,

She certainly is unusual, shame the guy wasn't honest with you.

I would try to breed just for curiosity :blink2:

Clare

hi Kerry

if you breed her with a zebra finch as intended then the chicks in theory should turn out looking more like zebs as there would be 3/4 zeb and only 1/4  diamond sparrow but only trying will you find out. maybe worth a try

richard

Hi Kerry

Richard is right that over the generations the amount of Diamond Sparrow will be reduced, but unfortunately they will always be hybrids and I'm not sure what you would do with any young ?

I would not recommend breeding with her but try and find another hen.

Kerry,

I was wondering the same thing Trevor. I have been doing some research and every opinion seems to be that she will be infertile. You know that saying 'curiosity killed the cat?' Well im the cat! I have to give her try and see what comes of it lol. Whatever the out come she will either stay with my retired and disabled birds or I will find her home as a non breeding pet.

Surprisingly, I have had a few messages from people on facebook asking to buy her! It seems lots of people like hybrids. I'm not sure how I feel about that really but I have made it clear that she is not for sale. I even had one message from a man demanding that I cull her as I am diluting the gene pool just by letting her exist. Once again i'm not sure how I feel about that other than I don't cull healthy birds. It's a strange world we live in......

Kerry

Hi kerry,

It would be nice to see what the out come would be of young if any. If it was me I would just keep it in the flight as a pet or spare, people have there own opinion on this, its like a goldfinch mule people go out there way to breed these just for the song and colour. The price of these vary from £30 up to £150 possible more. What kind of price do you put, if you was to sell on a diamond firetail x zebra finch?

You could call it a 'diamond zebra' or a 'firetail zebra'

What type of song does he/she have?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi skm and Chris,

I never thought to use her as a foster, that's a good idea. She doesn't have a song just beeps like a zebra finch hen does. The only thing that seems different about her (other than her pink tail) is she seems much more active than my zebs. This could change once she has settled in though and I have never kept firetails before so I don't know what would be normal behaviour for them.

I wouldn't want to put her in my aviary as I am having a hard time keeping track as it is. If she does turn out to be fertile I would want to know which chicks are hers so I don't sell them as normal zebs and could let the buyers know exactly what they are getting. I wouldn't want someone to feel duped like I did.

Kerry

Kerry,

I had a few pairs of firetails a few years back there lovely birds they weren't that flighty once they were settled. It all depends what you want to do with her, it would be interesting to see what she chucks out if she can that is. If she can't lay fertile eggs then put her in the flight anyhow this way you know your not going to get any funny looking chicks out.

Has the pink still stayed on her tail? I think you will always wonder what if she had a round of eggs amd they were fertile.

Chris.